Monday 2 December 2013

Why I hate the internet

It may sound like an odd thing to say for an individual who lives and breathes the Internet in both his personal and professional life, but it's true - I am not a fan of the Internet.

Sure I see the benefits. I use it every day. It's a networking tool. A general knowledge hub. A sales tool. An awareness engine. The list goes on. But I'm still angry at the damned thing. Here's why...



  • Procrastination - The Internet sits at the core of all my best procrastination efforts. Whenever I have a deadline the Internet is there trying to tempt me away from purpose. Occasionally I'm defeated. But when I win the victory is oh so sweet.
  • Slavery - Following the above quite closely. That little number on my phone showing me how many emails I have to read is making me a slave. The daily commute is spent head down pawing at a screen. Buses have windows for a reason. We are slaves to the Internet.
  • Justin Bloody Bieber - Seriously. Why is this guy the most searched person on the Internet in 2013? And is this any better than Kardashian last year? What is going on with the world? We have an infinite resource of information at our fingertips and it's used Googling these douche bags.
  • Bullying - Already a cowardly bunch, the Internet has given these people another shield to hide behind while that wreak havoc and carnage on people that just don't deserve it. I'm not talking Trolling here... that often employs some level of intelligence. I'm referring to the cowardly and mean hearted.
  • Lies - Purveyors of filth and lies. The Internet is the dirty laundry basket of life. As a wise man once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it". That man was Abraham Lincoln.
  • Hype - The mundane blown out of proportion. When the news has nothing to say, it says nothing, often in a louder voice. This Internet has taken this ball and is running with it. Giving fuel to fires that should have long been extinguished. A soapbox given to presenters with nothing to say. Nontent.

I may add to this list as time goes on. Feel free to add your own in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment